tête-à-tête

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

my real age

Whenever my students asked me how old I was I’d always take two or three years off before I answered 24 or 23. There were those who readily believed and those who would frown and I knew what it meant. I have heard such a question countless times. It varied into “When were you born, teacher?” “How old were you in 2000?” or rather came as a direct question “What’s your real age?” Some students were so snoopy that if I denied my age they’d go around asking all other teachers what it really was and sometimes, it would get up my nose.

But now I realized that it’s all wrong to lie. Why should I deny the years as I age? Where will I subtract? The wonderful years I spent with my family and friends? My exciting years in high school? The year I graduated from the university? The days my mom was beside me while I was sick? The years that I’ve been working? I realized that my age bespeaks the many beautiful, hard, adventurous, boring, blessed years I’ve been through that made me into who I am now. Had I not gone through those years, I wouldn’t have been fully aware of how much my family loves me, what I can and can’t do, who my friends are, and oh, how mad yet wonderful and blessed this life is!

I think one of the reasons people hate talking about their age is that they don’t want to look back on those hard times in their lives which hurt their feelings and left obvious marks on their faces. But what about the wisdom that comes with each passing day and year? Time embed in us stories of childhood, lovelife, acquaintances, enemies, dreams, frustrations, misconducts, offenses, triumphs, and failures because these are powerful elements in making sound judgment and prudent decisions for ourselves and for other people. Life is a game field and age is the trophy that should be waved higher and thanked about more. So, age less x years doesn’t really yield a grateful and truthful answer. I’m 29.

Copyright © 2009 by DenniSinned2. All rights reserved.

Labels: , , ,

posted by dennisinned2 at 4/15/2009 06:14:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home